One of the region's most highly respected Top 100 Firms!You will be joining a dynamic and progressive commercial practice with an outstanding reputation. In the...
My client is a large local authority legal team in the South West of England. They are seeking to add a Principal Property Solicitor to their team for an on-going, long term locum assignment. The post holder will take up the position of Team Manager and will lead the existing Commercial Property division, undertaking all associated management duties. There is also the possibility for the post holder to take up a permanent position within the council if desired.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a local authority with a large established legal team who continue to expand. As well as delivering legal services to its host local authority, the team has an extended client base and currently acts for a wide range of public bodies ranging from schools, fire authorities and charities.
This post is offered on a full time basis with the client able to guarantee 37 hours work each week. Part time applicants need not be put off applying as my client will make the contract work for the right candidate. The ideal candidate will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FILEx with good understanding of local government law. Knowledge of democratic decision making in local government and complaints policy and process would be advantageous. Candidates should have some management and leadership experiences as well as experience of providing legal advice at strategic management level. Applicants' should be confident leaders who are able to work independently without supervision and contribute effectively to the legal service management team.
Other duties will include:
- Advising on commercial property and highways law at a senior level, acting as the most senior lawyer in the council for property matters
- Build and maintain relationships with the councils key client sectors: local government, housing and education
- Advise on the devolution of assets and services to town and parish councils
- Advise on affordable housing, private developments and associated property issues
- Handle the conversion of maintained schools to academies including PFI schools
- Advise on Landlord and Tenant Matters
- Advise on Options and conditional contracts
- Undertake CPO work and conveyancing
Management is a key focus of this post. The successful applicant will need to undertake personal work as well as delegate to the team of solicitors, leading, managing and motivating at all times. The post holder will advise and represent the Council, consistently assisting legal service's colleagues and management.
Management duties will include:
- Formal supervision, development reviews, training and supervision, budget management and recruitment.
- Acting beyond your own personal specialism and representing the Legal Services Manager and wider Legal Service in all your duties
Hourly rate is negotiable dependent upon experience but candidates can expect an offer of between £50 and £57 per hour, dependent upon experience (Inside IR35). 1 -2 days working from home each week can also be arranged.
To apply for this post please contact Emily Bulman at Chadwick Nott, Birmingham.
Chadwick Nott Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.